LehrWerk UG offers teaching materials for tinkerers in the form of construction kits for schools, educational institutions, universities, and at home. The goal of the two founders Jonas Fuchs and Benedict Jux is to make complex systems understandable in a playful manner in order to transmit technical foundational knowledge more easily and quickly. Through direct interaction by touch and connecting components, the developed construction kits create a technical understanding that is often missing when you enter a career. In an interview, we asked the team of LehrWerk about the idea, the startup time, and the future prospects.
On March 10, 2015, the accelerator program “upCAT” of the KIT Founders Forge ended in applause on the final Demo Day. After twelve weeks of intensive work, the six participating teams presented their business model to an expert audience consisting of business angels, venture capitalists, and Karlsruhe network partners. Six entirely different teams participated in the upCAT #3:
- ChromX: Software for chromatography modeling for process development and robustness studies for the biopharmaceutical industry
- LehrWerk: Construction kits as teaching materials for prospective engineers and technicians
- Paralution: Software and consulting to accelerate the calculation of computer-supported simulation
- Softtop: Weatherproof covering for bicycles and e-bikes
- Storrays: Technology for manufacturing ultra-high density peptide arrays
- tego energy: Energy supply modules for energy harvesting